Crater Lake National Park

Crater Lake National Park, located in southern Oregon was established in 1902. This jewel of the pacific northwest was a  long time "must visit" destination for me for a variety of reasons. The lake inside of an ancient volcano intrigued me. In addition, the area has a long history of mysterious disappearances, bigfoot sightings, Native American legends, and other weird reports. I don't know if any of those tales are true, but I like thinking there are still mysteries left in the world.




I entered the park through the north entrance and followed the signs. During the 9 mile ride to the Rim Drive junction I was surprised by how quickly the temperature dropped with the higher elevation. Earlier that day, I had sweated in 90 degree sunshine at La Pine, just an hour north of Crater Lake. I soon reached the Rim Drive highway, a 33 mile scenic drive that winds its way around the entire caldera. The scenery is fantastic, but the road is only open in summer months due to heavy snowfall in winter.


The lake glistens at an elevation of 6,178 feet, where the temperature was in the forties. The caldera surrounding the lake ranges from 7,000 to 8,000 feet in elevation and even in mid July there were many patches of snow lingering in the park. The sun continued to slide down in the western sky and the temperature dropped with it. My hot weather riding gear felt a bit thin and I guessed it would be a cold night for campers in the park.


Crater Lake formed when the ancient volcano Mt. Mazama violently erupted and collapsed. Over several centuries rain and melted snow filled the collapsed volcanic caldera and created the lake. The icy water plunges to a depth of 1,949 feet at it's deepest point, making Crater Lake the deepest lake in the U.S. The vibrant blue water surrounded by the rugged Cascades that recede into the distance is a beautiful sight. I had plenty of time to stop and read the various National Park Service signs describing the volcanic history and geology of Mount Mazama, and how the volcano had collapsed to create the caldera which forms Crater Lake.


Wizard Island is an ancient volcanic cinder cone that rises approximately 750 feet above the western edge of the lake. After the violent eruption which led to Mount Mazama's collapse, a series of smaller eruptions created this cinder cone. During summer months, boat tours of Crater Lake stop at the island. Visitors may go ashore to explore the two hiking trails and the crater at the top of the cinder cone. I would love to take the boat tour next time I pass through the park and have a little more time. 


The late afternoon sun cast a dark shadow of the western wall of the caldera wall and soon it extended to Wizard Island. I arrived in late afternoon, early evening on a Saturday and was surprised at the number of families, tour groups and mini vans that circled the Rim Drive. The road is popular in part because of the many convenient pull offs that allow photographs of the lake from many directions.


Darkness was closing and a cold night was setting in when I fired up Dora the Explorer and headed out of the park. I wish that I had week to spend here. Maybe I had read too much on the mysteries and mythology of Crater Lake, but I felt there is something special and dare I say "mysterious" about this place. One thing is for sure, I will be back again and maybe I will find out!